Stay up to date on Virtual Reality: technologies, hardware, games announces, news, VR Awards 2017 results. Here is the list of what happened in VR during September-October 2017:
Unity 2017.2 introduces new 2D world-building tools, support for new XR platforms. Unity 2017.2 includes updates to the robust storytelling tools Timeline and Cinemachine, as well as support for ARCore, ARKit, Vuforia, and Windows Mixed Reality immersive headsets.
Oculus has released its Avatar SDK and Explore API to the world. Additionally, Oculus is opening up Avatars to other VR platforms, PC, and mobile in 2018.
Stardust 1.1.0 Released
- 3D Models and Primitives as particle instances
- HDR Image-based lighting
- Physical materials
- Ambient occlusion
- Extrude Text and Masks
- GPU Powered
- Workflow enhancements
CRYENGINE 5.4 Major Release
- In 5.4 CryEngine have added several terrain features that allow blending and integration of separate objects into the terrain mesh.
- Upgraded in release 5.4 is the new "Extended Detail Bending" toggle - found in the vegetation shader.
- A base implementation of the new Asset System, which allows users to directly interact with their assets and directories.
Read more here.
Announced Support For IOS 11 And ARKit.
Research and Development Daydream Labs’ team have revealed some of the results of their experiments with the new ARCore toolset.
Apple announced it’s new visitor centre will greet visitors with a help of augmented reality
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox have been hard at work integrating virtual reality capabilities into the browsers.
HoloLens allows designers and engineers to prototype new cars faster and more cheap.
Now the company is launching a virtual reality experience at European dealerships.
Near-Field HRTF and Volumetric Sound Sources are the new tools at developers disposal.
SightSpace 3D viewer software now supports ARKit. Limitless Computing improve its cloud-based augmented reality 3D viewer with ARKit technology.
The big news for CryEngine 5.4 is the beta release for Vulkan API support.
Sketchfab’s Giant Asset Library comes to Augmented Reality with ARKit support - "The largest AR library on the planet".
Viveport unveils new public beta of Viveport arcade manager software.
VUSR introduces support for AR and room-scale VR.
New NU4000 multi-core image processor has Deep Learning for VR/AR depth sensing.
Intel have cancelled work on the Project Alloy standalone VR headset.
One year after launch the PlayStation VR is receiving an updated model.
Windows Mixed Reality: Hands-On With The Lenovo Explorer.
Pimax stretch goals include prescription VR visor.
Oculus Latest Platform Improvements Include Easier Refund Requests For Rift And Gear VR.
Alcatel Set to enter the VR market with the UNI360.
ANMLY model A VR headset will be out in time.
VR Awards 2017
Best use of VR in Education and Training
ITI Crane Simulator by Industrial Training International.
VR Startup of the Year
Best use of VR in Healthcare
ImmersiCare by Tribemix
Best out of home VR Entertainment
Ghostbusters: Dimension by The VOID
Interactive VR Media/Film of the Year
Allumette by Penrose Studios
Innovative VR Company of the Year
VR Hardware of the Year
Touch by Oculus
Most Creative use of Marketing in VR
IKEA VR by IKEA
Mobile VR Headset of the Year
Daydream View by Google
VR Experience of the Year
Tilt Brush by Google
VR Headset of the Year
Rift by Oculus
VR Game of the Year
Raw Data by Survios
Chernobyl VR Project Comes To PlayStation VR, Updates For PC Version
October 2017 VR Game Release Date
- Knife Club VR – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Oct. 2)*Early Access
- Sneaky Bears – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Oct. 4)
- VR Drivers – Oculus Rift (Oct. 5)
- Marshmallow Melee – HTC Vive (Oct. 7)
- TRIPLE TWENTY – VR Darts – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Oct. 9)
- Arktika.1 – Oculus Rift/Touch Exclusive (Oct. 10)
- n-body – HTC Vive (Oct. 11)
- SweeperVR – HTC Vive (Oct. 12)
- REGENESIS Arcade – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Oct. 13)
- Toy Goblins – HTC Vive (Oct. 13)
- Taphouse VR – HTC Vive (Oct. 18)
- Virtual Space – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Oct. 17)*Early Access
- Megaton Rainfall – PSVR (Oct. 17)
- The Gallery – Episode 2: Heart of the Emberstone – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Oct. 18)
- Alpha Mike Foxtrot – HTC Vive (Oct. 20)
- Pathstow Mystery VR – HTC Vive (Oct. 20)
- Ancient Code VR( The Fantasy Egypt Journey) – HTC Vive (Oct. 26)
- Guns’n’Stories: Preface VR – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (October 2017)
- Organ Quarter – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (October 2017)
- Star Shelter – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (October 2017)*Early Access
- TankVR – HTC Vive (October 2017)*Early Access
Don’t miss the latest VR news next month in our VR digest!