Fresh ElifTech's Virtual Reality communiqué: updates, news, releases, features, technologies, hardware, etc. Stay updated, check out VR Digest
Epic Releases Unreal Engine 4.20
Unreal Engine 4.20 is here, featuring some of the most amazing tech, we’ve seen at GDC 2018. New proxy LOD system seems incredibly interesting.
Read more on unrealengine.com.
Material-Z v1 Available
- Easy-to-use, visual node editor for “programming”, connecting and mixing nodes and materials.Materials are PBR based and support the full principled Disney PBR spec.
- Preview textures, rendered and even high-quality ray-traced previews of your materials. The included ray-tracer supports the full Disney PBR spec.
- Paint module to add existing textures or paint your own textures and patterns using the included paint tools.
Find out more on braindistrict.com.
Blender Code Quest has announced that Jacques Lucke, the developer of Animation Nodes has joined the team to work on the “Everything Nodes” project. The idea here is pretty simple: unify everything under a common node-based interface, but we’re so excited about the final possibilities.
Check more on code.blender.org.
The next version will focus on improving KinematicBody, bringing more features for game developers. Let’s study a post from the team behind Godot to learn more. Read more on godotengine.org.
Nuke 11.2 Released
The new version brings an updated UI for adding nodes and parameters, improvements to the deep compositing toolset, a speed boost for the Smart Vector toolset, and more. Find out more on foundry.com.
ZBrush 2018.1 Available
- Added various changes to increase ZBrush sculpting and navigation speed.
- Added ‘Go To Unmasked Center’ button for use with Gizmo3D center option.
- Added ‘Uvb’ and ‘Uvbt’ (UV-Box and UV-Box tiles) UV map creation options.
- Added option to export Smooth Normals with OBJ files.
- Added ZModeler Inset proportional option. (A Single Poly only. CTRL modifier)
- Added a warning when loading custom brushes with auto-masking enabled if Sculptris Pro is active.
Read more on pixologic.com.
Yeti 3.0 Available
Peregrine Labs revealed a new version of their fur, hair and feather creation and animation plugin for Maya. Learn more on cgpress.org.
Verge3D 2.5 is Out!
Soft8Soft presented a new version of Verge3D for 3DS Max. The update is about reworking physical materials. Read more on soft8soft.com.
Corona Renderer 2 Available
Render Legion has finally released Corona Renderer 2 for 3DS Max which is all about improving compatibility, adding support for heterogeneous media and V-Ray scenes, new materials, a new toolbar, reduction of memory consumption, improved Bokeh, and more.
Find out more on corona-renderer.com.
Lumberyard Beta 1.15 Available
Amazon has presented Lumberyard Beta 1.15 which brings new River and Road components, Cloud Gems for Cloud Canvas, Blend nodes for the Animation Editor, Shader Compiler support for MacOS. Read more on docs.aws.amazon.com.
PD Howler 11.4 Available
Let’s study the latest version of the painting and VFX software called PD Howler. The new update brings real-time previewing of clone/rub through sources, the ability to search. Check squirreldome.com for more.
Arnold 5.2 Released
Solid Angle has revealed Arnold 5.2 that adds a number of new features in addition to performance and usability improvements. Find out more on solidangle.com.
Refurbished Acer VR Headset & Controllers for $135. Read more on roadtovr.com.
‘Modbox’ Developer Shows Off Knuckles Controllers in Action with SteamVR Skeletal Input. Learn more on store.steampowered.com.
HTC Publishes Vive Wireless Adapter Setup Instructions, Suggesting Nearby Launch. Find out more on roadtovr.com
WAVE Controller for VR & AR
A VR enthusiast Pavel Arapov has recently presented his custom hand controller for virtual and augmented reality. Check 80.lv for more details.
Ahead of the launch of the Magic Leap One, several press outlets got a chance to see the device up close and personal. Find out more on magicleap.com.
Unreal Engine 4.20 Ships With Native Mixed Reality Compositing for VR, New AR/VR SDKs. Read more on unrealengine.com.
Seismic Games released the news via a blog post, saying that from now on the team will be working closely with Niantic on “exciting new projects that will add depth to their narrative-driven releases and to help evolve the Niantic Real World Platform.” Check roadtovr.com for more.
Source Code for Star Ruler 2 Released
Blind Mind Studios has released the source code for its massive real-time strategy called Star Ruler 2. You can now play with the game’s engine, all the secondary scripts, data files, and assets that will allow you to run the game. Find out more on github.com.
iClone Motion Live Available
Reallusion has presented a new real-time motion capture platform iClone Motion Live. The app is compatible with other tools like Faceware, Xsens, Perception Neuron, OptiTrack, Leap Motion and more. The tool allows users to control full body and facial animation for multiple characters simultaneously.
- Impersonate the Optimal Acting Performance
- Synchronous Full-body Motion Capture
- Motion Capture for Multiple Characters
- Same Mocap Device for Multiple Characters
Check mocap.reallusion.com for more.
August 2018 VR Games
- ECHOES OF WAR: The Last Heartbeat – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 1)
- Turing Tumble VR – HTC Vive (Aug. 1)*Early Access
- VR Enigma – HTC Vive (Aug. 1)*Early Access
- MoonStrike – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 2)
- Ding Dong VR – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 3)
- Ghostbusters VR: Now Hiring – HTC Vive (Aug. 3)
- Walk on Arrow – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 3)*Early Access
- 2260 VR – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 7)
- Dreamland Defender – HTC Vive (Aug. 7)
- Pilot Rudder VR – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 7)
- AnimVR– Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 8)
- Nano Nebula – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 8)
- Three Life – HTC Vive (Aug. 9)
- Prehistoria – HTC Vive (Aug. 10)
- StarDrone VR – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 15)
- Space Maze – Oculus Rift (Aug. 20)
- BE THE HERO – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 24)*Early Access
- The Eerie Inn VR – HTC Vive (Aug. 24)
- Firewall Zero Hour – PSVR (Aug. 28)
- Torn – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 28)
- Dinosaur Hunter VR – HTC Vive (Aug. 31)
- In League – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 31)*Early Access
- The Lost And Forgotten – HTC Vive (Aug. 31)
- Paradise Checkers VR – Oculus Rift (Aug. 31)
- Vengeful Rites – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 31)*Early Access
- Survival Simulator – Oculus Rift/HTC Vive (Aug. 2018)*Early Access
That's it for August 2018 Virtual Reality news. Stay tuned and subscribe to our newsletter not to miss next month VR digest.